Saturday, December 17, 2005

Death Penalty, I

Years ago, my stepfather was murdered. Words are inadequate to describe what that period of our lives was like, so I won't try. I mention it as a preface to what follows because I understand what it is like to lose someone violently, senselessly, inexplicably. And, obviously, losing a child or spouse is that much worse.

So, I’ve gone back and forth over years about the merits of the death penalty, but ultimately came to realize that abuser and abused tend to inhabit the same world, i.e., animality, the law of the jungle, kill or be killed, etc. When the state uses its power to execute, aren't we as a society simply expressing the mutual belief held both by "us" and killers that violence – and, insidiously, the righteousness of violence--is the way to solve your problems, as well as a facile disregard for value of life in general? From this buddhist’s perspective, this situation reflects the mutual karmic relationship between predator and prey. It is a state of life and a worldview that saturates our culture as thoroughly as a leaky pen can color everything in a washing machine. How many times do we hear about the death toll of some war or disaster and not really think too much of it, or chalk it up to an acceptable level of violence to achieve some end or other? 2,000 soldiers here, 30,000 Iraqis there. We shrug and say War is hell. The reason I mention this aspect is that there is a through-line, in my opinion, of attitude toward life/death. I think that if our goal is to achieve a peaceful existence, it is of the utmost importance that the state demonstrate mercy. To me, society is like a family, with the state in the role of head of household, right? If that parent says, killing is wrong--except when I say it's right, is it really surprising if the kids also think that way?

By the way, for all the many executions carried about during my lifetime, I've never yet heard of any U.S. state granting clemency. Have you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home